Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Alone


Looks like you're going to be stuck with me for a little while longer



I want to thank everyone for the input after the last post. You gave me a lot to think about, and while I'm still not entirely sure what the future of this blog holds, I felt liking capping today so I'm taking that as a good sign.

I've decided to test out a slightly new post format (aka, the one Caitlyn uses) so in the future those of you who are just here for the caps don't have to scroll past my babbling rants to get to the good stuff.

Anyway, as I was saying, I'm still not entirely sure the direction I want to go in, but I have to say the time off did help. At the beginning I really didn't miss captioning at all, and I honestly thought that I might be done here. But sure enough the urge returned this evening, so I guess my career isn't over just yet.

With that being said, I have a feeling my already dismal production rate might fall even further. But I've noticed that recently I had been forcing myself to create because I felt like I should, instead of capping because I wanted to. This was a habit I picked up when I was first starting as a way to force myself to write more to increase the quality of my captions, but at this point I think it's been doing more harm than good.

Hopefully this will lead to the captions I do create being more interesting (I hesitate to say "better" as I might start going off in some less popular directions) pieces instead of just continuing to churn out cookie cutter caps.

But anyway, that's the plan for now. I'll let you know when something changes.

13 comments:

  1. Rauk - You said you will let us know when something changes .. well .. we will be waiting for whatever your mind hands and the net combined create for us to view. Let your mind journey to whatever track it may wish to follow .. and you may find that you come up with some things that may feel different to you to caption about .. and perhaps you may feel some are not up to a standard you wanted them to be .. but remember what I told you in email regarding your last caption .. and you may just find that what at your first thought after finishing it .. may not be up to the standards you wanted to keep .. that in fact the caption is better than you first thought and worthy of letting us see it after all. Remember also that one persons worst creation will still touch someone somewhere as well as the best ones had touched others. Every artist .. even a singer or musician goes through the point where they are not satisfied with their present work and feels oh I can do better .. or I have done better .. than they are shocked when they find out that in fact the work they did was a lot better than they ever dreamed that it was by the fact it is received well. So if your mind at some point wanders to creation of a caption far from your past ones do not be afraid to share it .. you might just be shocked at the reception it may receive. Just as a painter eventually feels that one topic has run its course for them and they need to find a new item/topic to paint to get their mind out of the fugue that they find them self in .. so you can easily do .. it will just take letting your mind wander to whatever you find yourself interested in captioning at that moment. All that having been said I did like this caption today as well as your musing to us about your feelings on the subject and captioning in general. -Monica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the support. I'll try not to fight my creativity whenever it strikes me from now on.

      Delete
  2. Rauk,

    WELCOME BACK :D

    I'll not try and equal Monica's wall o' text... Suffice to say it 's GOOD to see you capping again! I love the cap you've chosen to return with... The image choice is exquisite, and the deceptively simple text/story is wonderfully evocative and powerful.

    I hope the "mood" strikes you to cap more often, but we'll be grateful to see anything you'll offer us.

    /HUGE hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the mood strikes me more often too, but we'll have to wait and see.

      Delete
  3. Well you know I love meta caps, and this is one that hits on both a creative and a sexy level. And I look forward to seeing what direction you go in next. That said, any time you want to return to a variation on a theme, I'll be happy to see it. You are among a select group of cappers that finds a way to bring fresh energy to familiar stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's a huge compliment for me as I'm always worried that I'm just repeating myself when I make a new cap.

      Delete
  4. Stunning cap Rauk! As smitty mentioned, this works on many levels. From the fictitious character all the way up to being personally moving. When I first read this I may have seen ''Let her out to play, let her take control...', but what I heard in my mind was 'Let Caitlyn out to play, let Caitlyn take control...'

    The image choice, the font, the title and of course the story all worked together to make a truly touching cap.

    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of those caps that seems to speak more to the heart of the reader, and evokes emotions that only fans of the tg world would understand. A beautiful caption all around, great work :). -Raven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was more or less what I was going for, I'm glad it came across so well.

      Delete
  6. Welcome back for this outing! I love the caption! here's to many more I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the cap, I think the main reason I love your work is because it's never just face value. Your writing has layers to it and if you only read the surface you missed 90% of the cap. The images are great and you always seem to pick just the right photo. But it's in the pen that your talent resides. I would read your work if it was only text.

    xoxoxo Katie Mills

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, and I've noticed that when I get stuck I tend to turn to multilayer caps. The straight forward button pushers tend to come when I'm consistently in the mood to write.

      Delete